Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

is it cancer in my lungs or not?

We had my apt with Dr. Ng this morning.  It was a very confusing visit to say the least.  This lung surgeon seemed to have differing opinions from my oncologist.  Some of them give us some hope although it was good and bad news. 

The good news:  Dr. Ng is not convinced that the spots in my lungs are cancer.  He said that the PET scan does not guarantee what it showed as lighting as being cancer.  This is not what I was lead to believe when the oncologist read me the results of the PET scan.  The other good news is that the spots on my right lung that we were lead to believe showed up recently as the cancer spreading to my right lung, were actually there on my first scan back in September.  So this means that the nodules could be something other than cancer and that we don't have proof that it was quickly spreading.  Dr. Ng did not seem to believe there were any changes between the scans (which is good news).

The bad news:  we don't know that it's NOT cancer.  This means that we need to wait until another few months to do another scan and see if there are any changes.  If the spots grow, I will need surgery to remove them.  If there are more spots this is bad because the surgeon only wants to remove about 4 (which is how many spots I have), if there are more than that the quality of life in my lungs decreases and I would be losing too much of my lungs.  If the spots grow he suggested changing my chemo because it is not being effective in the lungs.  I feel like it's bad news to not be able to have surgery because it means the cancer is too far along and is spreading too fast and not responding to the chemo.

So basically we pray that there are no changes at all with these spots because that would mean that they are not cancer and are not responding to the chemo either way.  We will do a scan in a few months and if there is some shrinking or growth we will know that it is cancer.  So it's a waiting game. 

4 comments:

  1. What an emotional rollercoaster today's appointment must have been. Prayers for no changes!! And more good news is that it won't affect your AZ trip!
    Enjoy Christmas with the family - we love you!
    -Katie, Rob and Addison Ouellette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the poster above....what a rollercoaster! I am never very good with the "waiting game" for anything, so I can only imagine how patient you will have to be. I suppose when it comes to your health, you do whatever you need to do to get better. Continuing to send all of our positive thoughts your way Leah! Keep up the fight....you got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah,
    Merry Christmas.
    You and your family are in my prayers.
    -Andrew Monaghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Leah! I love the pics of the kids with Santa! Talk to you soon. Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete