Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sloan-Kettering opinion

Overwhelming is a good word to describe today's visit. For one, my apt was at 2:30 an we didn't get seen until after 5:30 and were in there with the Dr for about an hour.  And this is all without a nap for me! 
  Dr. Saltz is very concerned about the mass on my ovary and we spent most of the time addressing that.  He actually said that he thinks its cancer and there is a 10% chance that it isn't.  He said he has seen cases of patients with colon cancer in the ovary and that the cancer there is less responsive to the chemo.  He was less concerned about the lung and said that he would wait another 3 months and do another scan to see if it has changed at all.  He also was against radiation but also said that if he were even to consider it, it would have to be after the mass was taken off the ovary.  If the mass is cancer then there is no reason to do radiation. 
  Obviously this contradicts a lot of what my oncologist has in his plans for me so it is overwhelming and will take a while to digest.  I have to say I agree on the lung surgery plan though, all along I have said we should just wait longer to see if it changes.  He was more forward than the radiation oncologist I saw in Providence about the negative consequences of the radiation and didn't really see the point of doing it.  

8 comments:

  1. Hi Leah...this seems to be the norm when it comes to treatment for cancer. I went to 3 different Drs. and got 3 different opinions. Also, I was told the lump I had was "definitely not cancer". Of course it turned out to be cancer, but I'm saying that the 10% chance he is talking about doesn't mean anything. Praying for wisdom for all involved and strength and grace for you and your family.

    Jan DaCosta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about your "second opinion"! Wow. I am hoping that you stay strong through these ups and downs.

    Thinking of you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just give us a shout, whatever you need we will be there for you!
    Prayers
    Deb V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh... so where do you go from here? Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After pondering all night, I still don't know what to think of all this. I can only imagine how overwhelming it is for you. If you want to talk, you know where I am. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,

    So much information, discussion, results, like the others I don't really know what to say about the ups and downs. At the end of the day we just want you better!

    God bless
    Adam and Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so true Leah, it's good to gather all the information and opinions that we can and then try to understand and digest them, and make the best decision we can for ourselves based on all those opinions and information. There is no doubt that you are overwhelmed and confused. Just remember that's when your loved ones can help guide you (you have so many in your life) and remember to listen to your own inner self and trust that you will make the best decision for you! You have done so this far! <3
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay tough Leah! You're doing the right thing getting all this additional info and I'm sure you'll make the right choices. Hopefully this nice weather will make you feel a bit better during recovery too. A lot of us here at SEA CORP are thinking of you each week. We just had our bi-weekly C34 contracts meeting to discuss the "stray cats" TI's and your name is on that category!
    DaveL

    ReplyDelete