Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Drs orders

So after 3 days of trying to get a hold of my Dr I finally got a call back from the nurse.  He still wants me to do a PET scan.  Let me remind you all that PET scans make the patient highly radioactive, so much so that I can't be around my kids for the rest of the day.  Therefore, I will not be getting a CT scan as well, I will wait until another 3 months or until the "hernia" pain is worse.  It really hasn't bothered me since I saw the Dr, weird but convenient since I have this problem with the scans.

I do have to say, every radiology technician I have met is so wonderful and sweet, I swear they are so well suited for their jobs, it makes it so less nerve racking to get scans done.  When I was at the imaging place this week they read something to me at the bottom of the paper that said the patient had a history of colon cancer.  At first this really bothered me, I thought, History?!?  It was less than a year ago, I don't feel as though it's history, although it will be good when I do feel that way if we can keep it away long enough.  But then I mentioned it to my aunt and she said that it is better than the alternative of having it say "recurring" so I guess she has a point, let's call it history. 

On that note, I am still a little uncertain of how to address the situation if it comes up when I meet new people.  I have a hard time attending gatherings where everyone there has no idea what I have going on and therefore doesn't understand why I'm still exhuasted among other ailments that I now have to deal with.  I have a way of bringing it up that makes it sound so uninvasive and casual as if it didn't completely run my life for a year.  I don't want to come across as if I don't take it seriously, cause we all know there is no way not to, but I also don't want to be a complainer and just dump my cancer news on someone.   And I know everyone must have their own personal things they have been through that have shaped them so I know I'm not alone, but Anyway, I don't mind at all, actually I prefer, if you share my story with people so that if they do meet me some day they know a little bit about my "history". 

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately or unfortunately people are ususally so busy that although you may feel totally exhausted along with other ailments they seldom notice. That is a good thing most of the time because who wants people all up in their grill all of the time. My advise get on with your life in a happy way. Be the Leah you want to be. Quite frankly you have been to hell and you ARE back so if anyone notices you should just say you should have met me last year. I am living large this year. As will all life trials the most important people in your life, YOUR FAMILY will love and care for you tired, pained, happy and sad! I know we are your family and we pull for you every day even if we are not in your face about it. Forever in the prayer chain! Be well my friend!

    ReplyDelete