Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

oh to be 5!

My daughter turns 5 tomorrow.  I had a conversation with her the other day.  I asked her if I went away for a long time if she would remember me.  She said yes and I asked her if she could try to remind Drew of me, incase he forgot and her response was, "yeah just remind me after breakfast."  My counselor told me this was a completely appropriate way to get the answer to a question I've always wanted to ask her.  Her birthday is hard for me, kind of like christmas, just don't know how many more I'll be here for.

Gotta love the 5 year old brain though.  She asked me the other day how you get to heaven after you die.  I can't believe she's asking these types of questions, I don't think I was that inquisitive at this age, but maybe I was.  Being on the other end and having to answer these questions is quite the challenge!

I love to watch movies and I try to find light hearted ones, with happy endings, especially when I'm having a hard time with my life.  I started one the other day and there was someone that was dying in it, and before they even told you what she had I just guessed cancer, cause why not?  That's what everyone is diagnosed with lately, it's crazy.  Anyway, that ruined the idea of me getting through it without crying!  So anyone have suggesstions of newish movies that are funny and heart warming??  Please!

We leave for our cruise on sunday, I hear we are getting yet another snow storm, but hopefully we will miss it.  Bryan and I picked out a few excursions to go on while we're in Belize and Honduras.  I am getting pretty excited.  We haven't ever been on a trip alone without the kids so this is definitely something to look forward to.  I will come back with pictures and stories for you all, just think of us when you're in the snow, out in the caribbean soaking up the sun!

8 comments:

  1. Leah, You have taught me, and I'm sure many others, so many things over the past year or so. Like to treat each day as a blessing, to make sure I don't take anything for granted, to not let the little things bother me, and most of all, to let the ones I love, know it!! You have, once again, written a beautiful blog that will help me and many others, remember these things. Always sending positive thoughts and love your way. Enjoy your day tomorrow with Ellie, she too is an amazing kid!!
    I'll have a few movies lined up for you to watch when you get back. We watch a lot of movies too!!
    <3
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you love from Colorado. Enjoy your cruise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable Leah,

    First of all, I want a huge hug. Not so hard it hurts, but strong enough so you'll know I mean it. I'm sure you get a lot of these. Especially from work, By the way, what a superb job by Sea Corp (and others) for their incredible job of engineering the Bands fundraiser. I could not believe the amount of work and generosity which was evident as I toured the lodge and spoke with guests.

    I can feel the excitemnt in your writing. So many fun things happening. How lucky are your kids to have you. And vice-versa!

    A story. Birthdays have always been a comedy of errors for me growing up. I am the youngest of four, and by the time my mother started dealing with my special day (she was an alcoholic from my earliest memories), I never knew if she'd remember or we'd just skip it! My favorite b-day was at age 13 or 14. She remembered and bought a nicely decorated cake. She brought it out and opened the box. "Happy Birthday Michael" was beautifully scripted in frosting. I hesitated for a moment, not knowing whether to laugh or cry. As a young adult, I'd learn to expect anything, and burst out laughing. Michael was my next older brother by five years.

    I love the water, ships, sailing and I know you will, too. Have a blast! You'll have a lot of company on that cruise from all of us who are thinking of you and Bryan--constantly.

    If you get as far as St. Barthelemy, ask for Annelisa, my daughter. They'll know you you mean. It is quite a place.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy that cruise Leah!! You both deserve such a wonderful break from reality....and in the warm sunshine to boot. And the happiest of birthdays to Miss Ellie. Reese will be 5 in May and there is something so crazy about that number to me. School age....craziness. Weren't we just swaddling them in our arms yesterday?? Enjoy the day and as she blows out the candles make a wish with her. I know you will be here for many birthdays to come. All my warmest wishes, Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah, Have a wonderful trip. I hope that you can put everything else out of your mind and have a great time with your husband. Live in the moment. We all worry so much about everything, that we forget to enjoy what is right in front of us at this moment. I hope you enjoy every moment of your vacation and keep all of the memories with you forever.
    Bon Voyage!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silver Linings Playbook with Bradley Cooper. For when you get home! Have a great trip! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, it's important to have those talks with Elly. And the Heat was the last movie that had me rolling and also had a nice ending :)

    ReplyDelete