Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

scan and conference

So this Friday I get a CT scan.  I have had 12 treatments on this type of chemo.  Last year my regimen was 12 treatments and we all thought I was in the clear.  I can't believe I've already been through 12 more!  Unfortunately there isn't an end in sight, nothing to celebrate really.  I am anxious about this scan just because i have had so many stomach issues lately.  Unfortunately the chemo can cause that so it's hard to tell what is going on.  I will find out the results of my scan at my apt before my chemo on monday the 31st.  I assume if there is anything new showing up we will have to dicuss where to go from there, I don't see a point in doing the same chemo if we have growth. 

The young cancer conference is also this weekend.  Bryan and I are going and since there are a lot of sessions I want to attend but you can only choose 2 to go to I think we Will split up and that way we can get more info.  I really hope to connect with another young couple going through something similar, if we make one friend I'll be happy :)

I am also working on getting an apt with the top clinical trial GI oncologist at Mass General.  My oncologist that I have seems reluctant to discuss clinical trials with us because my treatment i'm on is working.  Bryan and my thoughts are that we'd like a plan for when this chemo stops working.  It could happen at any time, the average this one works for people is a year and we're half way there.  It is constantly on my mind that at any time I could start heading where I was in september and be in so much pain and realize that it's not working anymore.

Well I hate CT scans because the stuff they make me drink makes me sick every time.  We got a hotel in Boston to stay up there after since the conference is the next morning at the same place.  We have friends watching the kids for the night and I am looking forward to a night out, hopefully I won't be too sick!

5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and praying your scan has some good results. I agree that you should look into other options...better to have more information then scurry around if things change. Hopefully you'll feel okay to pal around Boston! Dont forget to "park your car in the Harvard Yard!" (insert horrible Bostonian accent here).Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the scan goes well and that this chemo keeps working, but I don't blame you for wanting to check out the clinical trials and have the information on hand. Here's hoping you can connect with some other people at the conference and add them to your loving support group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and Bryan have fun this weekend and learn lots! I'm glad you keep pushing forward, even when you don't want to. You are an inspiration to me in that way, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both are in our families prayers!
    John, Melinda and JZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day at a time; smile as much as possible; we'll be waiting for news, thoughts, and words.

    P.S. Stay away from grumps! xo coming atcha

    ReplyDelete