Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

procedures and pain management

after being drained one since Ive been here, and it not being the most pleasant of experiences they were going to try to minimize the pain by the idea of my next drainage being involved with a semi permanent procedure where they would install a semi permanent drain to allow for me to drain myself when needed instead of coming to the  hospital every time for the procedure of being stuck with a needle.  

The other procedure they are considering is the Celiac Plexus Block.  It would block the nerve messages going into the liver.  Much of the pain I am experiencing is from referred pain from my liver to other parts of my body such as my back.  If I am a candidate for this procedure, it could reduce my pain and therefore I would be able to decrease the IV and oral pain medications that make me so  drowzy.  If I am a candidate, they will do this procedure on Wednesday.  

Over the past week while I have been here in the hospital I have met with the oncologist team on staff here, the trial team doctor and nurse, and the palliative care team.  The oncologists have offered treatment, it would be a combination of the two chemo treatments I have had in the past.  Because I have had such severe side effects to both treatments, they would expect me to be hospitalized for a week after each treatment.  They also admitted in my compromised condition, the treatment may do me more harm than good, and I may not get out of the hospital and come home again.  All of the medical team members involved support my decision to get the pain under control and go home and spend time with my family.  They all support that chemo is not the best option and to see if we can do the above procedures and make me comfortable at home.  The earliest I think I would be going home is Thursday best case scenario.

Thanks for all of your texts, emails, and support.  It means a great deal to me especially at this time.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Leah, I am praying for you. I pray for your comfort and strength to abound. I pray for you to have special times with family and all that love you. I pray for wisdom for you and Bryan and the doctors and medical staff. You are very dear to many hearts. May our Father grant you peace an joy this day.

    I Love you,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Leah...praying so much for you and your sweet family. May His comfort and strength surround you. I do pray you can go home soon, pain free, and enjoy being with your loved ones. Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah: I am praying you can go home to be with your family. You are an inspiration to many. I hope you can go home on Thursday.

    Love, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, I hope that you can go home very soon and spend time with your family. Stay strong! We're all praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you love and prayers. You have a lot to deal with and you've always handled it all with such grace. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah,

    I'm glad the doctors have ways to make your comfort more accessible so you can spend time at home with your family. Hopefully tomorrow is your day to get out of there! I'm offering prayers and sending love. - LizG

    ReplyDelete