Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

Leah the prankster



[read this post to see what the memory sharing is all about] 

At the end of Leah's memorial service on Friday March 27 at the Atlantic Beach Club, there was time to publicly share Leah-memories. Leah's friend Sarah McLean lives in Los Angelos, California so she recorded this video that was shared on the projector that day. The text version is below for those who can't watch the video.



My name is Sarah Mclean, also known as "TV Sarah", and I worked at SEA CORP for 6 years alongside Leah. I wanted to
share this memory with you all.

I don’t know if this is common knowledge,but Leah was quite the prankster and practical joker. In fact,I didn’t know this side existed until I found myself on the receiving end.

Well into my friendship with Leah, long after she had transitioned from just a “work friend” to a real friend, I got her and Bryan hooked on a TV show called ‘Veronica Mars’, about a sassy teenage private investigator. In 2008, a year after the show had ended, while “busy” at work, I created a digital scavenger hunt for her and Bryan to complete based on trivia from the show. In short, they had to solve a series of riddles with each answer being the key to unlocking subsequent password-protected word documents until they finally reached their prize. That prize you ask? A life-size cut out of the show’s dreamy and brooding male lead for Leah and a “personal” email from the show’s sexy female lead for Bryan. I intended to, instead, make a life-size cut out for Bryan, but knew he would be too embarrassed to have Kristin Bell randomly appear in his office. And in case you’re wondering, everything was fine at home, Leah and Bryan both knew of the other’s TV crush.

Proud of myself, I assumed that was the end of it. How can you top that? But Leah had other ideas. Her response? Enlist SEA CORP’s receptionist to keep me occupied for about 10 minutes while she scampered about the main building leaving strategically placed clues that I would, after watching my instructional video, soon have to find and solve, each leading me to my next clue. So I spent my, ahem, “work day” bopping back and forth between SEA CORP’s east and west buildings solving clues, as she gleefully, and maniacally, might I add, watched from her office window. She didn’t stop there. Each clue’s answer not only led me to the next one, but also fit into a crossword-type puzzle, with certain spaces highlighted that would then form some sort of word or phrase. So what prize did all those ‘Veronica Mars’ clues and, cross word puzzle letters get me? Well, that Leah’s way of telling me that her and Bryan were finally pregnant.

Leah was kinda awesome that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment