Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

chemo brain

I tried to find a good definition of chemo brain for you all to explain what it is, but couldn't find anything I liked.  If you haven't heard of it, it's something that anyone who has been through chemo can identify with.  It's very similar to having "mommy brain" after the stress and shock of having a baby and living off of no sleep.  I believe for cancer survivors it's the lack of brain cells after chemo and the excuse for forgetting things or having moments of complete confusion.  Now I'm sure the fact of actually having cancer stresses one out and is also a factor in this.  Anyway, I have had plenty of moments where I have claimed chemo brain in the past few months and I'm sticking to the fact that it's a real thing!  I won't embarrass myself too much here, but repeating the same thing to someone moments after I've told them something or completely forgetting a lunch date with a good friend are a few things I've done recently and I am not proud of. 

I think I'm pretty lucky if the only side effects i'm still experiencing from chemo are lack of brain cells and neuropathy.  I have been running and done up to 3 miles several days a week and feel fantastic afterward!  Although facing surgery isn't something i'm excited about, I now understand why they had me wait 6 weeks after chemo, because i'm strong now and I feel like I can handle it. 

I had a bit of a revelation today while at my drs appointment.  Perhaps I can blame chemo brain for this not occurring to me until now.  The gyn onc was reviewing the consent form and all the possible things that could go wrong during surgery.  This didn't really phase me as I know the risks from last time and I can't focus on them or give them much thought or I'll drive myself crazy.  Meanwhile I'm continuing to stay focused on the fact that the Dr just told me I can't eat the day before surgery or the day of.  I went 6 days last time without eating so I am sitting there telling myself this should be no big deal but yet dreading those 2 days of no food.   I looked over at my mom and could just read the look on her face as complete fear and compassion.  She on the other hand is not able to stop thinking about the risk factors of surgery on her only daughter.   She is constantly telling me how strong I am and how she doesn't know how I can remain so strong through everything I've been through.  Until Today I hadn't given too much thought about being in her position because it's too painful.  To imagine one of my children going through what I'm going through and to not be able to to take away their pain or fears is just unimaginable.  So I think of all people, myself included, she has the toughest job.  At a support group I go to we were discussing how you can never really "let go" of your kids, you are always going to be worrying about them and thinking about them no matter how old they are.  I don't think anyone can really understand this unless they are a mother or father.  So anyway, I figured it appropriate with mothers day around the corner to give credit to all the mothers out there who have had to go through what my mom has gone through, you are amazing and incredibly strong!

11 comments:

  1. It truly puts things into perspective doesn't it. My mom has always told us that she would do anything if it meant keeping one of her babies (now 32 and 38 years old) from being hurt. I never understood that feeling until almost exactly 4 years ago when I held Reese for the first time. It is simply instinctual. I cannot imagine what she must be going through....such a strong woman as well. Happy Mother's Day indeed....to you too my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling strong and the running is going well!

    I love your attitude, frankly. There's not really much you can do about all you have to face, and it seems like you don't waste time or energy on fretting over it too awfully much, since it just is what it is. One step at a time and all that. HUGS to you, and your mother too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day, Leah and to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written, Leah! Happy Mother's Day to everyone who "can't let their kids go, ever" Mine included!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have one great mom!! Harve

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for Moms! What beautiful tribute to yours, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A baby asked God, "They tell me you are sending me to earth tomorrow, but how am I going to live there being so small and helpless?"

    "Your angel will be waiting for you and will take care of you."

    The child further inquired, "But tell me, here in heaven I don't have to do anything but sing and smile to be happy."

    God said, "Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you. And you will feel your angel's love and be very happy."

    Again the child asked, "And how am I going to be able to understand when people talk to me if I don't know the language?"

    God said, "Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweet words you will ever hear, and with much patience and care, your angel will teach you how to speak."

    "And what am I going to do when I want to talk to you?"

    God said, "Your angel will place your hands together and will teach you how to pray."

    "Who will protect me?"

    God said, "Your angel will defend you even if it means risking it's life."

    "But I will always be sad because I will not see you anymore."

    God said, "Your angel will always talk to you about Me and will teach you the way to come back to Me, even though I will always be next to you."

    At that moment there was much peace in Heaven, but voices from Earth could be heard and the child hurriedly asked, "God, if I am to leave now, please tell me my angel's name."

    "You will simply call her, 'Mom.'"
    Writer Unknown
    "Have a Happy Mother's Day" John

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! thank you Leah for this blog....
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mothers Day to you Leah...and to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post, Leah. "Graceful" is the word that comes to my mind when describing you. Come to think of it, it describes your mom, too.

    Missy

    ReplyDelete