Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

decisions, decisions

I was able to talk to the nurse of the dr at Sloan yesterday.  Unfortunately the Dr will not call me, he is saying i have to go back to NY to get his opinion.  When we were seeing him last month though, he did tell us that if it was cancer in the ovary, that his suggestion was to do no further treatment.  From what the nurse told me yesterday it sounds like his opinion hasn't changed.  There is no proof any of the treatment options would do any good and there are risks involved.  I think he doesn't believe in treating when there isn't active visible disease.  He would do scans every three months to check for growth. This is about all I was able to get out of her.  he has a good point, I would like some justifications to his reasoning but not sure I will be making another trip to NY in the next few weeks.  So I am left to wonder if i should get yet a 3rd opinion, go to NY to hear his reasons, or make a decision based on what info I have.  Pray for guidance, patience, strength, and comfort.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Leah. It may be a good thing to get a third opinion. I guess it could make things even more confusing, or it could make a decision easier.
    You are being lifted up before the throne of grace every day. I pray this for you. "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Is. 41:10 God bless!

    Jan D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for going back to the NY doctor. He was the one who knew it was cancer on your ovary and told you to skip the lung surgery and go straight for the ovary. Wasn't the doctor that gave you those treatment options recently the same one that was convinced it wasn't cancer on your ovary....why take his advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The differing advice is surely not making the decision easy on you... where would you go for a third opinion and would that be relatively easy on you (vs going to NYC again), perhaps Boston again? Like someone above said, it may make things clearer or even murkier. If you feel like going up to NH (Norris Cotton Cancer Center at DHMC in Lebanon), you have a room at my parents' place for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny...I went to the Norris Cotton Cancer Center when I had breast cancer many years ago. I went there for my 3rd opinion. I had a great Dr. He has since moved to Wisconsin, but how many Drs. give you their home phone # so you can call them at any time if you have a question?

    Jan D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully the long weekend allowed you some relaxation (my kitchen is a MESS of construction workers btw) and you can make a decision with strong conviction!

    Not to let too much of my story bleed into yours dear, but I had multiple "third" opinions on my own journey. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it continues to muddy the waters.

    Many prayers for you and yours as always. :)

    ReplyDelete