Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

gynecological oncologist

I had my gynecological oncologist appointment today.  She was a little more optomistic about it not being cancer on my ovary but also very concerned.  It sounds to me like my oncologist just read off the radiologist report when he told me that it was the cystadenofibroma.  This Dr. said that cystadenofibromas don't grow as fast as my mass did, she doesn't think it is that.  She definitely wants to take out the left ovary but also the right one.  She is concerned about the increase risk of cysts or cancer occurring on the right one and having to go in at a later date and taking that one.  Unfortunately that will send me into early menopause.  They will keep the uterus as long as it looks ok when they go in there.  I will be put on hormone replacements so that I will still get periods (bummer!)
  She ordered blood work to test ovarian cancer tumor markers and my colon tumor markers.  My colon tumor markers were never elevated even with my big tumor so I'm not sure how helpful they will be for the ovarian but lets hope they are not elevated!
  It sounds like if everything goes well with the surgery it is an outpatient laproscopic procedure and I woud go home the same day.  Some potential complications are the fact that i have a lot of scar tissue in the area they are operating on from my first surgery.  My colon surgeon is actually going to be there for this surgery in case he needs to step in for anything.  If there are bigger incisions that need to be made than planned I would be in the hospital a few days to let those heal. 
  I have an apt with the gyn onc next Thursday to go over everything again and then hopefully surgery the following week but no surgery date yet.  So at least everyone is in agreement that the ovaries come out first and we will wait to deal with the lung until after, then discuss radiation.  One step at a time!!

3 comments:

  1. You're right, at least everyone agrees on the first course of action. Hopefully it'll just be the laproscopic procedure (and it's a benign mass!) so that recovery will be a little easier for you. Thinking of you always, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some agreement for a change must feel comforting. Yep, one step at a time. You can do this, you ARE doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope for low markers and an easy surgical procedure!

    One step at a time is all we can ask for Leah, that goes for so much in life!

    ReplyDelete