Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Post op

I got home about 11:00 today. It was worth it to stay overnight because I got to talk to my colon surgeon, gyn oncologist and my medical oncologist all separately this morning.  Unfortunately they seem to have some differing of opinions.  My medical oncologist wants to wait to make any decisions on further treatments until the official pathology report comes back which can take up to 10 days.  Unfortunately he did talk about some more chemo treatments.  One of the options he talked about is giving my abdomenal cavity a hot chemo bath.  It is pretty much what it sounds like, they cut you open and pour chemo Inside.  That scares the heck out of me!  Can't imagine the side effects!  So let's just hope and pray for the cancer to have only been one place on the one ovary! It is not good that it actually grew during chemo!
He also doesn't necessarily see the ovaries having cancer as ruling out radiation like my dr in NYC did.  However the colon surgeon was VERY against radiation just like the NYC dr.  One thing my oncologist did agree on was to wait to operate on the lung! I was happy to hear that.
  On another note I am feelin ok.  I am up and moving around and have the pain under control from the incisions, all 5 of them!  One thing that is not under control is the pain from being pumped full of Air for the surgery.  No pain meds take away that pain so it is all on my positions and it can be hard to lay down or sit or stand at times.
 So once again the fate of the next few months of my life remains on hold.  Thanks for all the prayers and positive energy for a successful surgery!  I believe the prayers of patience are helping, I'm getting pretty good at waiting!

4 comments:

  1. Leah, you astound me. Your strength of body and spirit is something I can only aspire to. You will heel quickly and proceed the best you can. You have been a great researcher. And you have great instincts as well. You will make the right decisions for you. Right now, I hope you can get some rest!

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are any of the docs "in charge" on your case? It seems like it would help if they all got together to discuss it and then made a group decision before they confused you.

    Fingers crossed there's some good news with the pathology report, somehow. Hot chemo bath does NOT sound fun. Maybe better to do that than have it drag on and on with several treatments though? :/

    UGH about the gas pains, I forgot you'd be going through that again. So sorry. Maybe cuddle your duckie from Dawn! :) Hope you continue to heal and feel better, Leah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you are still getting conflicting answers. It would be nice if they could reach a consensus of some kind of treatment plan. Wishing you a speedy recovery from this latest part of the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, the advice I was given was that the more you move, the quicker the gas should dissipate (that is, if you can move on your own). You can always try Gas-X as that works for some.

    Glad to hear your are home and feeling ok. :)

    ReplyDelete