Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

why I hate percentages

More than 90 percent of people with colon cancer are over age 50.  The average age of diagnosis is 72.  It is also more likely to occur in men than women.  No wonder one of my friends keeps calling it the "old man cancer".  The chances of someone getting colon cancer are 5.1% and even less in women.  The risk factors are:
  • A sedentary lifestyle.
  • Diabetes.
  • Obesity.
  • Smoking.
  • Alcohol usage.
  • Older age.
  • African-American race.
  • A personal history of colorectal cancer or polyps.
  • Inflammatory intestinal conditions.
  • Inherited syndromes that increase colon cancer risk.
  • Family history of colon cancer and colon polyps.
  • Low-fiber, high-fat diet.  

  • I am 32, I'm not overweight, I am a runner, have never smoked one cigarette and can probably count the amount of alcoholic drinks i've had on one hand.  The only factor that applies to me above is that my grandfather had colon cancer in his 70s.  I would say it's fair to say my chances of getting colon cancer at my age were about 1-2%.  Since  I'm a young woman and only 1 risk factor applies and that would still only indicate that I would get the cancer at a later age.  However it appears the chances were really 100% because as one Dr put it, you either 100% have cancer or you 0% don't.  Therefore Drs telling me things like "there is a 10% chance that what is on your ovary is cancer" doesn't even make any sense.  It is either 100% cancer on my ovary or it's 0%. 
    Part of the reason I am teetering on a stage 4 diagnosis is because of Drs believing percentages and statistics and not acting faster and considering that I could have cancer when I told them my symptoms.  If at my first symptom the Dr had listened to me and not said, "if you weren't pregnant I might be more concerned but I'm sure it's just hemorrhoids" then I wouldn't be wondering if it had spread elsewhere because we would have caught it at it's early stages and it wouldn't have penetrated the colon wall or my peritoneum.     

    So that is why I officially hate hearing percentages! They mean nothing to me anymore and I'm not going to let them run my life and taunt my dreams at night and my thoughts all day long. 

    5 comments:

    1. I've been ignoring them for you since the beginning of all of this ... good for you for shooing them out of your life! *smile*

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well, here's one percentage you can trust: Everyone here is 100% supporting you.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Leah,
      Please know these percentages:
      1. Our Prayers are focused on you becoming 100% better!
      2. 100% of your friends and family care very deeply about your well being!
      3. Your faith in God is 100%! Knowing he is watching over you always.
      4. Know that 100% of us wish you didn't have to go through this terrible process!
      Now those are percentages I will always believe in!
      John

      ReplyDelete
    4. Just noticed the new pictures ... 2 very cute couples :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Way to go Leah!! Harve

      ReplyDelete