Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

DOB: 7/22/1980

I feel like I have been asked my date of birth (DOB) a million times in the past year.  Every time the nurses give you chemo or any medication they have to verify your DOB.  Or even just checking you in for an apt, before they put your ID bracelet on you have to recite it.  Even just to make an apt or ask a Question, it's always ok, DOB please.  I feel like I have a new perspective on birthdays now.  They have never really haunted me or phased me In the past.  I am so fortunate to have found my husband by the age of 23.  I was married by age 26 and had my first beautiful healthy baby by age 28.  I've never felt like I should have done more than I had at each birthday and didn't mind turning 30 when I had everything I had ever wanted.  I know a lot of people dread birthdays but consider the alternative to not having one, yeah now be happy and celebrate that you just survived another year no matter what age because that's how I will feel next year!

I used to like to go out to eat for my birthday.  I have to admit I don't enjoy going out to eat as much now that I'm following a vegan diet.  I have to be one of Those people who picks and chooses things off the menu and alters their selection.  I want to explain to the poor waitress that I'm trying to save my own life and whip out an article on how vegan diets and juicing beets fights cancer because I'm a "cancer warrior" now!  (More on that term later)
I have had so many internal arguments with myself over calling myself a cancer survivor or using the phrase that I am "fighting cancer".  I have read that using negative connotation with cancer is not beneficial.  Having negative thoughts of any kind is not good for the head, body or soul.  We all know when you have cancer you dont need anything else against you, the cancer is enough.  So I have come up with the phrase that I have on the template of my blog "encounter with cancer".  I had journey on there for a while but felt that was too fun of a term.  I mean there's being positive and there's making cancer look like fun, lets be reasonable folks.  

So what's my problem with the term "cancer survivor"?  I don't have any issues with it except that I dont think it applies to me yet.  Technically I think I fall within the definition, at least  Wikipedia thinks so.  I just feel like I'm still currently "fighting" so I have dubbed the term "cancer warrior".  Feels more like an appropriate phrase and I think it's positive.  Now I just have to have my t-shirts made with the logo idea I have In my head.  No I'm not kidding, you want one?
Anyway I digress, happy birthday to me, the cancer warrior And may I soon feel like a cancer survivor who has won all the battles and the war!

15 comments:

  1. Go get that "beast" cancer warrior.

    Happy Birthday - you looked great today - the vacation was great for you. God Bless Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically I'm a few minutes early, but, Happy Birthday Leah!! One of the 'gifts' that cancer gives is that it makes us realize what is truly important; priorities change. All the little things we used to complain or worry about fall way back. I always appreciate that even when things are not going well with you, you always have something to be thankful about. Praying you celebrate many, many birthdays!! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Leah!!! I love you very much and I'm grateful for our friendship. I hope to see you soon! Enjoy your Birthday, I know you'll be celebrating with all heart. And keep up the good work cancer warrior!

    PS: Your gift will be a day late...long story!

    PSS: I want a shirt!

    Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Leah! Yes I do believe that Warrior is a great term for what you and all the other fighters go through. I have watched my dad, mother-in-law, favorite cousins go through and some still fighting and with the most optomistic of attitudes and spirit. You are a special person to be so open with the journey and I am sure you are an inspiration to others that are also in the battle of life. Enjoy your day and know that the sisters of spirit (All RI Cheerleaders) are praying for you and others. We will honor you all in October! I would love your idea of tee shirts and we can add all the members of our lives fighting the fight!
    Cheers!
    Deb V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Leah!!! Justin and I are still smiling from hearing your sweet little girl saying, "I love you, Mommy!" over and over as you headed out on your run! May you be showered with gifts of love today and every day just like that!!! Have a great birthday! :) The Eigurens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Leah :) Beautiful words and perspective, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I mean there's being positive and there's making cancer look like fun, lets be reasonable folks." <-- This made me laugh! Let's be reasonable and not too hard on ourselves too. I can't wait to hear about your holistic workshop in the fall. I bet you, above most others here, are able to appreciate and live in the moment so much better than the general populace. I think that is a big part of being happy and feeling alive - being conscious of every moment and being as grateful as possible in those snapshots of life instead of judging harshly. It's so easy to beat ourselves up. Happy Birthday and keep warrior-ing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leah,
    Beautiful post.. you are such a strong and brave woman. Enjoy every minute of your birthday. Did you find a vegan cake? I know "birthday" cake is your favorite kind so I hope you can enjoy a slice or three :)
    Much love and happiness sent your way,
    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy happy birthday friend!!! I am so very happy for the recent good news....I thought of you a lot this weekend as I was down at my mom's and we were going through the old family photo albums to digitize them. There were always tons of photos from my birthday parties and YOU were always in them....for like a full decade of birthdays! Today I raise a glass to you (that happens to be full of diet Coke) and say CHEERS!!! To the next 33 years (and beyond)!!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where there's life there's hope. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday and many more to come!
    You rock and I want 4 shirts. Let me know how much okay?
    Love you, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to You,
    Happy Birthday to You,
    Happy Birthday Warrior Princess,
    Happy Birthday to You!!!

    I simply refuse to say "Cancer Warrior" in your birthday song!!!

    Many blessings today and always Leah and I hope you truly ENJOY your birthday today and here is to your next "trip around the sun".

    Oh and you can sign me up for one of those FAB shirts too!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Leah :) I tried to post this yesterday for your birthday from my iPad but it wouldn't let me publish. It just kept disappearing. Trying to do it today from my computer.

    Happy birthday to you Leah :) may it be a truly blessed day and year to come for you. Yes! Praying that soon you'll be able to title your blog 'cancer survivor"! Hope you had a great day and got to do some of the things you really enjoy with the people you love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sorry forgot to say the last comment was from Lily C.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Leah and congrats on the good news! Hope and prayers for more to come.
    Adam and Britney Crisafulli

    ReplyDelete