Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pathology Report

I ended up getting in to see a surgeon at the office today, not my surgeon but another one.  He did a full post op exam and didn't find anything abnormal, he thinks the nausea is just how my body is reacting to surgery and refilled my anti nausea meds. 

He didn't have the pathology report but logged onto the hospital network and downloaded it while I was there and printed me a copy.  My surgeon hasn't seen it yet and he will be calling me soon with an apt with the oncologist.

I was told I have stage 3 cancer.  The staging is confusing but the way I interpreted it is that I have the worst possible stage 3 without it being stage 4.  It is not stage 4 because it hasn't gone to other organs or structures but it is stage 3 T4a N2b.  The T4a means "tumor penetrates to the surface of the visceral peritoneum"  They tested 28 of my lymph nodes near the tumor and 7 of them tested positive.  This means it is N2b which means "Metastasis in 7 or more regional lymph nodes" and is the highest level of that stage.

As I said I haven't met with an oncologist, hopefully I will have an appointment by the end of the week.  My mom and I asked the surgeon lots of questions that he kindly answered although followed it by your oncologist will have to decide that but basically my cancer is very aggressive which he said it tends to be more aggressive in younger people.  He said he would guess that they would want to aggressively treat me in a few weeks after i have healed from surgery.

Here is a link to a site I found with staging kind of explained. http://www.cancerstaging.org/staging/posters/colon24x30.pdf

Please Pray!!!  That's all I have left to say after this horrible news, not what I was hoping for or expecting at all.


 

6 comments:

  1. Of course we are all praying and we are here for you. Whatever you need do not hesitate to call us. You are lucky that you have such a strong faith and family. Stay positive because you will need a great positive attitude and people surrounding you that believe that you can overcome all obstacles thrown in your path. Take care we all love you and are routing for you. I have a pipeline to the pep squad up above!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second everything Deb said! My family and I have never stopped praying for you. You will overcome this Leah because you are so strong and so are the people around you. Anything you need or want, whether it be help with the kids or just a simple text message to say hi, I’m right here! <3 Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah,
    I'm so sorry to hear this! Stay strong and know that we are all praying for you and sending you positive thoughts.
    Let me know anything I can do and I'll be down in RI.
    Lots of love,
    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah, I've reached out to my friends who have prayer groups and prayer chains; so there are people praying for you in New York City, Long Island, Buffalo, Syracuse and Binghamton. We will all continue to pray. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Stay strong and keep the faith! Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay strong Leah! I also agree with Deb! Couldn't have said it better. Sending lots of love and prayers for you!
    Hugs, Barbara B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,

    I just found out about what you have gone through. Please know that I am thinking of you and your entire family during this time. You have such a wonderful outlook. Praying is already in progress here sweet lady.

    Warmly,
    Lori Floyd

    ReplyDelete