Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

thankful list

I finally heard back from a Dr I have been calling in Boston and I have an appointment on Wednesday! So I think this is a start to a thankful list that I have been wanting to post. I am so thankful for my mom. She has been so awesome since all this started and during this stressful time where I am not able to make a decision. She insists she isn't phased by the fact that she has no idea what her future holds since she will continue to stay here and help me if I choose to do more treatment. I am thankful for all the friends and family who sent me suggestions of Drs to see in Boston. I am thankful for my kids who are the ultimate distraction from my disease and who I can get lost in play with which allows me to escape from my stressful world. I am thanful for my aunt who has already been through this journey and can share her experiences with me and encourage me in only the way someone else who has been there can.  I am thankful for husband and my cousin Rachael who is like a sister and is my patient advocate. Rachael and Bryan attend all my Drs appointments and are doing constant research on HIPEC. They are my "board members" and we have started holding meetings to go over our research and options on my treatment process. I am thankful for all my friends and family who are in constant contact with me and make sure I'm okay after I make depressing blog posts :)

I am still considering doing the HIPEC but then when to do it is a big question.  I would love to be able to enjoy some of my summer and not worry about my incisions and swimming and of course my energy level.  we have a vacation planned in July that I would like to go on but that of course depends on if and when I do the HIPEC. I am not sure if its better to get it over with and maybe still enjoy my summer or if it will ruin my summer to dread the HIPEC the whole time.  Or will it ruin my summer to be scared I have cancer growing in me, or will i still be thinking that even if I get the HIPEC, did it work, was it worth it?

I have read about a lot of cancer survivors who have felt that cancer changed them for the better and that they wouldn't change their life if they could. Of course these are people who are disease free and are able to take away positive aspects of fighting cancer and their experiences. I can't say that I am there yet, I think I need to win at least one battle before I can declare anything like that. I do however, have to say that I have learned a lot through this experience which I am grateful for. I have learned how precious life is and and how important friends and family are. I have learned that even when you don't know what to say to someone who is going through something like myself, calling or texting or emailing anything at all is better than saying or doing nothing. As long as your heart is in the right place that is all that matters.

9 comments:

  1. You are so strong! I know you have so many decisions to make, and I know I speak for all of us who love you, that we wish we could give you the answers and free up your heart and mind. Keep up your wonderful attitude and know we are all routing for you. Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    Through Prayer we find strength. Draw on us as your journey continues! You are in my thoughts as you step into the next phase of decisions. You can rise above this.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible support network you have Leah!

    Lean on everyone who is there. Your mom, ROCKS!

    Many good thoughts for you today, as always, from dreary and rainy Cape Cod!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably know it already, but what you are going through makes everyone you know appreciate and value life and loved ones more...

    Here's hoping Wednesday goes well and you have some help with the road forward, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you got the appointment in Boston. Your mom has been amazing! and I am so impressed with your gratitude, its so important but can be so hard. Much love! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah, You're in my thoughts and prayers daily! I am so glad to hear that you're able to get the appointment in Boston. I think it'll be good to get more opinions. Though at the moment it might be confusing, at some point you'll start to get some that'll agree with others.
    It's always good to "count your blessings, and name them one by one"!
    Philippians 4:6,7 "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
    Leah, I pray that the Lord will guide you and your fabulous support team to the right decision and that He will give you peace about it.
    Lily C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah, You are blessed with such amazing and strong family! I'm so happy you got that appointment in Boston. I hope they will give you clarity to decide what to do next. In the mean time continue to stay strong. You are an amazing woman with the willpower and strength to fight this cancer. You are an inspiration to me and everyone.
    XO
    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing and your support system is to be commended. Know that you are always in our prayers! We miss you and your stories at work hurry back! (although I am sure that is a priority on your list) LOL
    Deb V

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got a great network of support Leah and we too are grateful it is there for you to lean on. But your own inner strength is truly inspirational and you are carrying us all rooting for your wellness! I'm sure you'll sort out the right decision to make the most of your Summer with family and friends.
    DaveL

    ReplyDelete