Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I need a filter change

So I had this realization last night that I need a filter change.  What am I talking about?  Well, I realized that I have a filter that every thought goes through and it gets put into two categories, chemo or cancer.  I am going to try to explain this the best I can.  Anything and everything I talk about, think about, relates back to these two things for me.  I never really thought about it before, until I realized that I couldn't really help myself. 

Here's an example of the cancer thoughts:  Bryan and I had our 8 year anniversary yesterday.  We had an amazing lunch out at the Boat House Restaurant and sat by the water in the sun and it was just absolutely amazing.  Couldn't have been more perfect.  Then I say, "we should do this every year!"  And immediately I catch myself and think, will I be here next year?  Or the year after that?  Now I'm sad, I've ruined this moment that I was in because I wanted to think about the future and that makes me sad because it is so unknown. 

Anytime someone references anything in the distant future it gives me a lump in my throat.  Will I be here?  How old will the kids be?  Will they remember me?

Now here's an example of the chemo thoughts:  I can't get away from planning my life around chemo.  Anything and everything anyone asks me to do or attend revolves around, will I feel good enough?  Do I have chemo that week?  Can I attend my daughters open house?  Can I attend my son's music performance?  Can I go to that Cinderella Play that I booked 3 months ago with friends, will I feel good enough?  Do I want go to lunch next week with friends? Yes, but can I?

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, this is just my life.

Photo from Yesterday, 8 years!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations ,you two! Savor your love for one another.

    John (now in Idaho)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Leah! Great looking couple!
    I like your filter idea. It's unavoidable that these thoughts will go through your head, but maybe there's a way to fine-tune your filter so they don't ruin the moment and bring you back down to being sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh, you guys are so stinking cute! Love you both! And Happy Anniversary again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary Leah and Brian! I understand your post, it is honest and thoughtful. I love the new photos too - and I love you Leah. Josie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having thoughts that come crashing in and getting sad is normal. Loosening its grasp so it does not steal the moment is the challenge. You have learned that life is not something that happens after you get a miracle or something that was before cancer happened to you. You are showing up each day, as best you can and relishing the preciousness of each event and moment. You are appreciating the little gifts that life delivers in ways that many on the planet are too busy to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful couple!!!! Happy 8th!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary you two! Wishing you a rosy filter that will help you stay in the moment, and allow you to enjoy each of them to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this photo! You guys look great. :) Glad you enjoyed your lunch together and Happy Anniversary!!. -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  9. You looked beautiful, and hopefully felt so too. It is easy to see you're happy from your gorgeous smile. Congrats on your anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete