Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

living with a secret

Someone told me recently that I could look at my life as though I'm living with a secret.  My chemo so far doesn't make my hair fall out.  I surprisingly do not look as though I'm dying, I look and feel healthy as of now.  I posses the knowledge of my future and those who do not know me, do not.  Walking around the cruise ship and looking at all the happy people on vacation was in a way a daunting experience.  Why do all these people who love buffets and to sit in the sun get to live "forever"?  But I always go back to, who knows what they've been through.  They could have their own diagnosis that they aren't aware of or that they're not visually sharing. 
    One night we were at dinner on the ship and we were sitting right next to a woman who clearly was growing back in her head of hair.  I immediately had this feeling, she has breast cancer.  Sure enough she struck up a conversation with us and it turns out her and her husband were celebrating the end of chemo for her by going on a cruise.  Now I don't ever see me being able to even celebrate that.  I am jealous of my aunts chemo schedule because she can now go every 3 weeks, and I have to go every other week.  How pathetic is that, I'm jealous of a chemo schedule, oh man what a life I now live.
    This woman who was celebrating the end of her chemo was the only person on the boat that we shared my secret with.  She didn't even acknowledge the information with any sort of response what so ever.  I mean, she literally didn't respond, she didn't say anything at all.  I don't know how someone who has been through something so similar as myself can just not even express any sort of understanding, empathic or sympathetic or anything at all.  Telling elicited nothing from this woman.  I know this is how many of you feel.  You don't know what to say or do.  I did a post a while back about this, about how doing something is better than nothing at all.  But then what should that something be?  I don't know that I have the answer to that, and I of all people should be able to give you some hint on that shouldn't I?  I can say that the number one thing that makes me feel heard and understood is compassion, so if you could just show compassion I think that's enough.
    I am not sure what we expected to hear from this woman on the ship, or what we expected her to say that would make us at least feel heard.  I think the fact that she did nothing made me think well she could have at least aknowledged what we said to her.  And I think in general thats what's helpful, is acknowledgement that you understand or at least try to understand what we're going through and again having compassion.
  So as far as secrets go, this is not the one anyone would chose to want to live with, but the word live is the key.  As long as I'm living I will have this secret and that is all I'm trying to do right now is stay alive.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Leah: Some people have a hard time expressing themselves. Just keep going Leah and I am praying for you. We are all hoping for the best. It is tough (more than I will ever know tough) and I admire your strength to keep on. Know that I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Leah, your discussion of your "secret" and the reception you received begs the question if we should share our secrets or forever keep them to ourselves...to avoid the disappointment you endured. Or, do we apply a sensibility factor to a potential new 'sharer' we may encounter in the hopes of not being hurt. You tried. It took courage. I hope you'll consider trying again if and when you are ready.

    I am sorry your shipmate left you devastated. Maybe she was hard of hearing, or completely self-absorbed--or perhaps drugged up. Who knows? No matter.

    Many of us understand serious secrets. I am especially sorry because you deserve an empathetic and supportive response. Certainly all of us following you on this blog are here to do just that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah...maybe she couldn't quite believe you have cancer when you look so wonderful; who knows what she was thinking. But you have an army of prayer warriors and so many who love you and would do anything to help you and your family. Leah, what you are going through is hard, very hard. Cling to Jesus. He suffered and died to give us life now and forever. Blessings to you and all those you hold dear. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. As your blogs usually do, this one made me think. A friend of mine recently got a tattoo that reads, " Everyone you know is going through a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. " Like some of us, the person on the cruise may have been somewhat intimidated by your courage and that could have caused her to lose her words. Life hardens some hearts and opens others. It is more rare than you think, your brand of courage. Like the tattoo, You continue to remind us all to be kind to one another and how important it is to allow people to be kind to us.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,

    You'll never know what was in her head at that point... just take solace that you are home and you have an army of people who ARE willing to listen, dialogue, support, etc. some of the comments here are so amazing, maybe, just read them and let them speak words of support that trump the silence of others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leah!
    This particular blog post struck a chord with me. I heard about your cancer a few months ago when Renee posted a link on Facebook. Since then I have been following your blog "secretly" or quietly, not letting you know that I have been sending positive energy your way. Well, even though it has been many moons since I last saw you or we played AYSO or high school soccer together, I still remember the great person that you are! Know that I think of you often and I pray for lots of sun filled days for you. warmly, emmy swetnam

    ReplyDelete