Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Life is full of surprises

The two most prominent surprises in my life that stick out in my mind are:  finding out that the girl I had been carrying around in my belly for 9 months was in fact a boy and being told I had a cancerous tumor after my colononscopy.

I was told when I was 5 months pregnant that I was having a second girl and we prepared the rest of the pregnancy for our daughter.  When I gave birth and found out that I had a boy instead, it was shocking for less time than one would think.  I would say within hours I was already used to the idea and within days it was like a distant memory that we were supposed to have had another girl instead of a boy.  Except of course for the bright pink room that they both still share.

Finding out that I had cancer, well, there isn't a day that I don't have a moment in it where I say, really this is my life now?  Can't I wake up already and have this bad nightmare be over?  But having a boy made the second surprise of having cancer a tiny bit easier to handle.  I have decided that after having the poison of chemo I am certainly not going to create any more babies in my body.  If I end up getting radiation I won't even have that choice, I will become infertile and go through menopause at the age of 32.  When I thought I was having a 2nd girl I had promised Bryan I was willing to try one more time for a boy to carry on the Ploutz name.  And lo and behold I didn't even have to!  I am totally ok with the idea of not having anymore kids and I feel blessed that I don't have to go through an emotional roller coaster with this situation.  I think being emotionally exhausted every day for the past 5 months has made me realize that in my new life I couldn't handle another baby and my two healthy beautiful children are such a blessing, what more could I ask for? 

10 comments:

  1. I don't think I've looked at this blog, even once, without learning something about courage and dignity and grace and compassion. Without intending to, I'm sure, You continue to counsel the Angels of our better nature. I hope your day is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What better surprise could there have been than Drew?

    You continue to look on the bright side. That is wonderful and inspiring, Leah.

    P.S. I hope you were not without power long and that you didn't get too cold over the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the 1st comment, and Cady's comment.
    While you are going through this emotional roller coaster, you continue to be an amazing mother. I love seeing how you make each other laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with first comment. It's always inspiring to read your blog Leah. Hope you have a great day and an even better tomorrow...

    DaveL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah,
    Life is indeed full of surprises and you continue to inspire me with your courage and the way you have handled all of yours!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you have Drew and Elly :)
    Can't wait you see you all when I come home soon!

    Love,

    Hadley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah, you (and this blog) constantly make me smile..... and get too emotional at work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for, once again, teaching me to appreciate what I have and not dwell on the what ifs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God works in mysterious ways and gives us blessings before we even know what they are.

    Love, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. God works in mysterious ways and gives us blessings before we even know what they are.

    Love, Jamie

    ReplyDelete