Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Pre-chemo slums

I have noticed that I start to get anxious and sad about getting the next treatment the day before.  This week I feel like it started two days before, unfortunately.  It's kind of like gearing up to get the flu for the 6th time and know that you're going to be in bed for the next 5 days.  The one good thing is that I do know it's going to happen so it doesn't take me off guard and I can prepare. 

I stock up on the things I know that will appeal to me to eat and drink.  Since I can't drink anything even room temperature after the treatment, it has to be slightly warm, it takes some creativity when you're nauseous to find warm things to drink.  I have to stay hydrated to flush the chemo out and I find that hard to do on tea, it's just not as easy to drink as much for me.  Thankfully this side effect goes away after like 8-10 days so I can enjoy cooler things again for a few days before I have to start all over again.   I wish I could capture the look on peoples faces at restaurants the few times I've gone out.  I ordered iced tea once and asked for it without the ice and the waitress said, "you know that will be room temperature?" and I replied, "that's perfect!" and she looked at me funny and politely agreed to get my weird request. 

So to get tomorrow out of my mind I'm doing something I never do and my mom and I are going to the mall today!  Perhaps some retail therapy will do the trick.  I feel like I have to get out of the house because this is the best I am going to feel physically before it starts all over again.  I might even enjoy a cold beverage while I'm out (and I'm not talking alcohol, you know me)!  Yeah I know, really living it up, iced tea with ice!

7 comments:

  1. It has to be hard knowing what it could potentially feel like. Hopefully it is doing the trick and will all be worth it though!

    Enjoy your retail therapy, time with your mother, and your ICY iced tea! How daring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm home today if you want to go for a walk later .... Assuming you're not shopping ALL day :)
    Totally LOVE it when you post new pictures! The one of Drew in the tub is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should hit up Starbucks and really go nuts with a specialty iced tea! Your children are just adorable! Here is too a great day! Go for a ride near the beach if you can, that always calms whatever is ailing me.

    Hugs...Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate the candor, Leah. While you're the one taking the hits, it's not "Leah's journey through chemo" but "Our journey through chemo." Because we're all fighting this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah, you make me laugh! You have an incredible attitude! I'll be praying for you as you go through this round of chemo...praying it'll be a bit easier! God bless! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really loving these new black and whites of the kids, especially the one where Elly is reading to Drew!!! Priceless!
    Hope your not feeling too bad today, thinkg of you! :)
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leah - I am so happy that I've gotten to know you. You have an abominable spirit and I know that it, along with a lot of love, will carry you with grace along this journey.
    I look forward to reading more:)
    Linda Phelan - The Healing Co-Op

    ReplyDelete