Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

roller coasters

I have never been a fan of roller coasters.  I feel like my life has been an emotional roller coaster the last 6 months or so.  When I feel so good on my good weeks its hard not to be smiling all the time because I don't feel ill!  And then when I realize I only have a few more days of this feeling I start to get sad and anxious about my next treatment.  I start to feel sick before I even get the actual chemo in the IV, probably when they start with the anti-nausea is when I start to feel ill.  Then by the time we leave there I am ready to just be in bed and can't wait to get home to start my next days of just sitting/laying in bed cause it's all I can do. 

Each time I get a treatment the nurse goes over a slue of questions about how the last treatment was. They involve things such as: were you nauseas? whats your emotional distress on a scale of 1-10?  The guy that is often sitting in the room next to me to get his chemo treatment is probably around 80.  Actually I know he is because I heard him give his birth date last time.  His answer to these questions is always no nausea and no emotional distress.  I wish I could be in his boat!  I don't know if he's lying, which I don't think he is, he seems like a decent guy that would answer the questions honestly.  But perhaps when I'm 80, chemo wouldn't really phase me either, but at this point in my life it's rocking my boat!  He also goes home with the pump like I do for 2 days and he talks about it like he doesn't even notice the thing, I wish!

I feel like after my last apt with the oncologist that he is just so used to patients who are older and don't have little kids and a job to get back to and don't have 4-6 weeks to just wait for surgery!  The visiting nurse that comes to take off my pump told me that I'm her only patient under like 60 and she has a lot of patients! 

I have heard lots of people say that 1 in 3 people will end up with cancer.  If this is true I guess I pray that I am getting my turn out of the way early and I can live the rest of my life full of scans and colonoscopys that come back cancer free.  And I pray that the other 2 of the three are my children and they never have to go through this.  So hopefully when I'm 80 I will not be getting chemo even if it wouldn't phase me and I can be retired and hanging out with my grandkids! I just pray I don't feel like I'm 80 by the time all of this chemo/radiation treatment is all over. 


"You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. "~Douglas MacArthur

13 comments:

  1. This was such a moving post.
    That is a shocking statistic and I wish the same for you and the kids as well. You have definitely put in all the effort to kick this cancer for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're fantastic, Leah. And an inspiration. Also, I agree with Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could just give you a big hug right now. I am crying reading this, because your words are so touching. I had read 1 in 4 get cancer, so I am troubled to read your higher number... but perhaps in your family's case we can just pretend I'm right and count Bryan out as well?? I hope every single day that this is "it" for you and your family as far as cancer goes, and that if you can get past this then you'll all be done dealing with it. You've already had more than your fair share.

    Is it possible because of your young age you are receiving a higher dosage and/or stronger drugs than the folks in their 60s, 70s, 80s? I wonder... because maybe that's part of why this is so hard on the bad days. Hopefully, this part of your treatment is almost over with for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah, dear! HUGS!

    Sometimes (often) I have no good words to pass along, no pearls of wisdom, no healing thoughts, never anything clever (you know me) but I am always thinking of you, your family, and hitting my knees in silent meditation that your health is fully restored soon.



    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I have said this more than once but I am going to say it again, you're one of the strongest people I know. You are amazing. You will pull through this because you are so strong. I love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,
    You are too young for despair; your youth brings forth much hope!
    “And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us”. Romans 5:5
    You remain in my thoughts and prayers everyday that this tribulation will come to pass soon and normalcy will return for you and your family!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This post (as do many) brought tears to my eyes as well. Once again Leah, you show me (us) how to find the positive and goodness in any situation and most of all how to be brave no matter what! Your outlook on life is so inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I told you last night, your words once again left me speechless. Inspired, humbled, touched and oh so blessed to know you. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Know you are always in my thoughts ...
    PS - love the groovy new background :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Leah,
    Try this breathing exercise if you begin to feel anxiety at any time. It is at this link and it is exercise 2, "The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise": http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521/three-breathing-exercises.html
    I will pray with you that this chemo kicks the cancer out and you have a healthy life so you can enjoy your grandkids at 80 years old!
    xo's
    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. A song for you from someone who has been there, and received healing from Jesus!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaasPux0v9A

    ~a friend of a friend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leah when you write you bring tears to my eyes. You will get through this and you will feel better soon. You have so many people and prayers in your corner. I have parents and Portsmouth fans often ask me how you are doing and that they are keeping you in their prayers. My mom has you on the top of her list at her weekly prayer group as well. Please let me know if you need babysitting, remember I have a list of really great kids that can help you out. Stay positive because there is now a light at the end of your tunnel. You are nearing the end of the treatments and summer is just around the corner. Maybe when the spring arrives you will feel a bit lighter and rejuvinated. Remember God does not give you more than he feels you can handle. Enjoy your family because you have a really great family! Just a phone call away if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Leah...praying for you during your treatment today. God knows how tired you are; how long this journey has been. I pray you will rest and trust in Him, "cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you." Tomorrow is the first day of Spring...so says the calendar...so hopefully the weather will start getting warmer soon and after your last chemo your strength will return. Know people are thinking of you and praying for you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Leah! I can't imagine how much of a roller coaster this is for you. You've done so well in managing it all! I know you have some bad days. But I am praying that the good days out-number the bad ones.

    I look forward to seeing you in April.

    PS: The 80-year-old is probably lying a little bit!! ;)

    Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete