Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

Leah's laugh

[read this post to see what the memory sharing is all about]
This memory was shared by Matt Ploutz.



One of my favorite memories of Leah came in the days after she and my brother were engaged at the top of Castle Rock, on Blue Mountain Lake.

The engagement ring came in one of those boxes with a little battery powered light to reflect off the diamond and make it sparkle.  Leah discovered that an amazing reuse of this box was to project light on the wall of the cabin we were staying in, which was a perfect backdrop for shadow puppets.

Since we were in the Adirondacks (and because they're hilarious creatures), I decided that my character would be a moose.  There really is nothing THAT funny about a shadow puppet moose with an ultra-deep voice speaking mostly in grunts, but I never heard Leah laugh harder than when I was "performing" as that character.  As anyone who spent time with Leah knows, her laugh was contagious, and before too long, everyone would be holding their stomachs and out of breath from uncontrollable laughter.

I would've shared this one at the Memorial Service, but 1) Someone would have coerced me into doing the moose voice in public, and 2) While it would have been one of the more lighthearted stories, I would still have had a hard time keeping my composure.  It's really hard to face the reality that Leah's laugh only lives on in our memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment