Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

1st radiation oncologist recommendation

I had an apt today with the radiation oncologist that I have seen before at RI hospital.  He had met with my surgeon and was able to discuss with him the exact location of my tumor and whether or not it was up high enough away from the pelvic area to avoid needing radiation.  Unfortunately it sounds like the 7 lymph nodes that had the cancer in them were in my pelvic area enough where the Dr feels it is necessary to do radiation to prevent recurrence. 

We will get a 2nd opinion on this when we go to Sloan at the end of the month.  This still obviously isn't what I wanted to hear.  And it will be really hard to decide what to do if the Dr. at Sloan recommends that I don't get it.  Either way this is not what I wanted to hear.

The radiation is 5.5 weeks long M-F, so 28 days long, not how I want to spend my summer!  It would start 2-3 weeks after surgery.  I am hoping to find out a better idea of when the surgery is when I go to discuss my scan results next Friday the 19th, and my scan is Tuesday the 16th. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry it sounds like you may have to endure yet another lengthy and side-effect-inducing phase of treatment, Leah. If it will help ensure better chances of not having the cancer come back, though, that sounds like a very good reason to do it at least. Can't wait to hear what the other doctor says.

    ReplyDelete